Becoming one with the waves in San Juan, La Union

Arrived at San Juan, La Union at exactly 9:00 am. Just left my bag at the reception and headed straight to the beach. I can hear the waves calling me. I can feel the warm summer breeze. I can feel again. I'm in love again.



I just can't believe that I did it. I'm here standing still mesmerized by the rhythmic percussion of the waves on the sand. My heart did that little flipping thing as I watch the surfers. This is it! I'm gonna do this. Next thing I know I was following this guy and I believe he is leading me to one of the surfing instructors. There I met Kuya Jericho one of the coolest surfing instructor.


He thought me the basics of surfing. Parts of the surf board, how to stand/ gain balance, and all the safety precautions before hitting the waves. He says " Ma'am, are you ready?". And just like that I can hear my heart pounding so loud. I cant believe how addictive excitement can be. And so I answered and said "I was born ready!" with a giggle. And Kuya Jericho smiled back at me.

We paddled through the waves further from the shore where the waves are bigger. He kept on reminding me to focus and just remember everything he thought me. Then he saw a good wave and he said "Ma'am get ready! Paddle and then stand. Do not hesitate to stand." And my response was "Yes. Kuya!". There's no turning back now. I can see the big wave coming. Then he signaled me to paddle and he screamed "Up!". Panicked gets hold of me the first time. I was able to stand but immediately lost my balance. I fell hard on the water.



I was thinking I almost did it. I have to do it again. I swam to get my board and paddled back to Kuya Jericho. I then told him I know what I did wrong. And his response was "It's ok ma'am, you did great!" and he smiled at me. His response encouraged me to do better. So, we waited for another wave to come and again he signaled m to get ready and says "This is a big one." I tried to remain calm after hearing that and so, as the wave approached I started paddling and he screamed "Up!". There I was standing. I was able to gain balance. The best feeling ever!


I've never imagined myself surfing and it was just amazing! The experience was surreal and I'll just do it over and over and over. I promised Kuya Jericho I'll be back for more. In just a day, I was able to gain a friend and unlocked an achievement. Surfing teaches us a lot of lesson in life and that's one reason I love about surfing. The reason why I feel love again.



There's a lot of surfing instructors in San Juan but Kuya Jericho is one of the best. I highly recommend him.  

Jericho - +639121472458

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I fell in love in La Union

Talisayen, My Sweet Escape

The streets of Cebu