Oh My Sagada!

Oh! Yes, It all started here in Sagada. It was January 11, 2017 when I decided to pack my bags and hit the road. "You have to do this!" this voice inside me screamed.


I've been reading a lot about this place. I've been wanting to go but I can't seem to find anyone available or interested to come with me and so I decided to just do it on my own. It was scary for a first timer but with that small ounce of courage I had, pushed me to do it! "Just do it!".

From all the blogs that Ive read about the Sagada I was well aware that it is gonna be a 12 hour ride. Yes! That's long but it's worth it. I ended my shift at 11PM so I could take the Victory liner bus in Cubao by 12 MN and expecting to arrive in Baguio by 6AM. That 6 hour ride gave me enough time to sleep after a long day at work. From Baguio I took a cab to another bus station that will take me to Sagada.

I stayed in Sagada Guesthouse for 3 days 2 nights. The room was cozy. Well I'm not really expecting much on the room, I have no plans of staying inside the whole time. I wanted to explore and experience Sagada. That was the main goal! So, the moment I arrived I just left my bag and started wandering.

I meet a friend who also happens to be solo traveling and we decided to explore the place together. We were both starving so we drop by the famous Yogart House for lunch before doing anything else. The view was great and food was good. They have a balcony where you can eat and just enjoy the scenery which is really amazing plus the cold breeze it was perfect.







Right after lunch we went to the local tourism office. Sagada is a very small place so you won't have difficulty finding the tourism office. We registered and then started looking at the tours offered. It is highly recommended that you get a tour guide from the tourism office. Although exploring the place on your own is fun it is advisable that one should get a guide. Specially for trails that are dangerous like caving, trekking, wall climbing, etc,.

Our first stop was Sumaging cave, it is an hour walk from the town center, passing by the Dokiw Hanging Coffins and Lumiang Burial cave entrance. It took us an hour and a half to explore Sumaging. From that moment I realize that yes hiring a guide was the best thing to do. The cave is dark and slippery and is not safe to be explored alone. Thus, having the guide with you makes things easier and safer.





My first day wasn't bad, well it was awesome! It was liberating and I felt so inspired and energized being one with nature and myself. With so much energy in me I wanted to go out some more and explore the place at night unfortunately they have a curfew so basically everything is close by 10PM. I end up buying my on drink and party on my own in my room. With the weather you won't need ice for your drinks you just chug. Sure am ready for day 2.

Day 2. We woke up early and decided that to catch the sunrise in Kiltepan the famous Sea of clouds where a lot of proposals took place. But, unfortunately it was an epic fail. The guy from the tourism office didn't show up. It was most probably because of some missed communication. We end up returning to our hotels and promised to meet by 7AM at the tourism office to check on the tours available for day 2. But, it was too late for me I can't sleep anymore. I decided to start exploring the small town on my own before having breakfast. I appreciate my quite walk around the small town, visited the church and left my prayers. Then came 7AM we were checking on the tours and saw that it was expensive with just the 2 of us and so heard that we can join a group if there's any who wanted to add more individual to there group. We met another solo traveler. Now the three of us went trekking at Marlboro Hill and took the Adventure trail right after.

The trek to Marlboro Hill requires us to rent a van since its far from Sagada proper. Starting at the jump off point it took us 4-5 hours trek which passes through rice terraces and limestone formation. The clouds here are also amazing and the view already took my breath away. I highly recommend this place.

(Marlboro Hill)





In order to do the Adventure trail we have to go back to Sagada proper. Using the same van we rented. It drove us back so we could then start our adventure trail. However that long walk consumed too much energy from us. So, we have to stop by and eat. This time we didn't go to any famous restaurant, we just wanted to try the normal food offered in the place. We just passed by some local cafeteria and ate. I can't remember what we ordered exactly but the food was amazing. Then we are finally ready for round 2, "The Adventure trail".

Adventure trail covers a 3 hour trek. We passed by the Church of St. Mary the Virgin  and then there cemetery. We learned about the some tradition and rituals they practice. Then the trek to Echo Valley Hanging Coffins, entering Sagada Underground River, forest trails, and river crossing before it reaching Bokong Waterfalls.

(Adventure trail)















It was fun sharing your day with strangers. Well they're not strangers anymore. They will forever be part of my journey and I'm lucky to be able to meet this wonderful beings.

But that doesn't end our day yet. We had to see the sunset so we went to Lake Damun. There we waited for the sky to clear but it as just too cloudy and the clouds are not cooperating. But, it was refreshing the view was nice even without seeing the actual sun to set just looking at the lake it was worthwhile.   

(Lake Danum)







I can say Day 2  was a very fulfilling day. I wasn't ready to go yet but I have go back and face  reality and its hard to leave such beautiful place. It left a mark on me that I will forever carry. It's engraved in my heart. At the end of the day I realized I wanted to do it again and again. It made me realized that there is nothing I can't do. Now my soul is craving for adventures and the rush of trying new things. Things I've never done or imagined doing. This is one of them and this the journal of my first solo travel.

Well that's it for now.

Thanks for reading.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talisayen, My Sweet Escape

I fell in love in La Union

Bantayan Island